The holidays away from home can be difficult, especially if you’ve never experienced it before. Although you love your family back home, don’t forget this crucial truth: friends are the family you choose.
In Florida, Disney Housing recently hosted the annual Fall Diversity Event: Thanksgiving Dinner. On Nov. 16, participants from around the world gathered at Chatham Square field to enjoy a traditional American meal of turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and cranberry sauce. While our domestic participants were familiar with these dishes, this was the first time celebrating Thanksgiving for many of our international friends. Their thoughts: thankful hearts (and stomachs). A DJ was on hand to spin holiday tunes and participants were invited to write notes of encouragement for military members or children spending the holidays in hospitals around the U.S. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy were also there in their colonial best to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.
Whatever you celebrate during this time of year, don’t let the holiday blues get to you. We understand being away from family can be hard, but think of it this way: how often do you get to spend Christmas at the most magical place on earth? Be sure to revel in all the holiday cheer scattered throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience and you’re sure to chase away those blues!
But what exactly should you do to celebrate? There are many opportunities for you and your friends to have a merry little holiday here. Check out our list below:
- Attend Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom Park.
- Learn about holiday traditions at Epcot’s Holidays Around the World.
- Listen to the Christmas story told alongside an awe-inspiring cast choir at Candlelight Processional at Epcot.
- Let the holidays dazzle you at the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. (You won’t want to miss it; it’s the very last year they’ll be displayed here!)
- Check out the lobbies at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, Disney’s Beach Club Resort and Disney’s Yacht Club Resort for holiday villages, carousels and life-size gingerbread houses.
- Get cozy and go on a horse-drawn sleigh ride around Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campgrounds.
With so much to do, you won’t have time to miss being away from home!
From all of us to you, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!